Green-lipped mussel oil (Aspitol®)
Green-lipped mussel oil (Aspitol®)
- EPA & DHA: Green-lipped mussel oil is rich in Omega-3 fatty acids such as DHA and EPA, of which over 80% of the fatty acids are phospholipids, making them highly absorbable by the body.
- Furan Fatty Acids: It contains rare furan fatty acids, which largely contribute to the powerful effects of Green-lipped mussel oil.
- Oil Superiority: Stabilized Green-lipped mussel oil is superior compared to Green-lipped mussel powder.
Green-lipped Mussel Oil (As Aspitol®) contains the following ingredients:
|Contents per capsule:||%ADH|
|Green Lipped Mussel Oil (GlycOmega®)||50 mg||-|
|Olive Oil||100 mg||-|
|Total Omega-3||15 mg||-|
|C20:5n-3 (EPA)||7,5 mg||-|
|C22:6n-3 (DHA)||6 mg||-|
|C20:4n-3 (Newly Discovered)||0,4 mg||-|
|Furan Fatty Acids||0,4 mg||-|
|Total Omega-6||5 mg||-|
|C18:2n-6 (LA)||5 mg||-|
|Total Omega-9||65 mg||-|
|C18:1n-9 (OA)||65 mg||-|
Ingredients: Green-lipped Mussel Oil (Perna canaliculus), Olive Oil, Gelatin (beef gelatin, water), Emulsifier (glycerol), Antioxidants (Rosemary Extract, Vitamin E, Vitamin C).
Guaranteed Free from: Preservatives, synthetic fragrances, colorings, and flavorings.
Allergen Information: This product may contain traces of mollusks (mussel oil)
Use & dosage
Dosage of Green-lipped Mussel Oil: For adults, it is recommended to use 2 softgels twice a day with a meal for 4-6 weeks. After that, you can reduce the dosage to 1 softgel twice a day with a meal, or as recommended. For children, adjust the mussel oil dosage based on body weight.
Mandatory Disclaimer: A dietary supplement is not a substitute for a varied diet. A varied, balanced diet, and a healthy lifestyle are essential. This product is a dietary supplement (fatty acid supplement).
Safety Note: Consult a healthcare professional before using supplements during pregnancy, lactation, if taking medication, or if you have a medical condition.
Storage: Store in a dry place at room temperature, and keep out of reach of small children.
Why Green-lipped Mussel Oil Instead of Powder?
Green-lipped mussel powder is also available in the form of dried powder, typically in capsules. However, the furan fatty acids in powdered form are difficult to stabilize and quickly lose their biological efficacy due to oxidation. For this reason, mussel powder tends to develop an unpleasant odor when exposed to air.
Furthermore, green-lipped mussel powder is sometimes offered with most of the oil removed. The oil is, after all, a highly valuable product! The remaining powder contains hardly any active substances and is sold at low prices. The absence of fatty acids in the powder results in it having a milder odor, which can give the impression of high quality. However, this is not the case.
Here are the reasons why green-lipped mussel oil is superior to green-lipped mussel powder:
- Green-lipped mussel oil is stabilized and extracted using patented processes that ensure a stable and standardized oil of consistently high quality.
- Green-lipped mussel oil contains a unique complex of furan fatty acids and omega-3 fatty acids.
- The oil form allows for the stabilization of green-lipped mussel oil by adding a powerful, fat-soluble antioxidant complex. This ensures that the active ingredient, the unique blend of furan fatty acids and omega-3 fatty acids, remains biologically active even after several years.
- Green-lipped mussel oil has been shown to normalize important biochemical processes in the body, which is crucial for good health. The enzymes 5-lipoxygenase (LOX) and cyclo-oxygenase (COX) are part of these biochemical processes.
- Green-lipped mussel oil is safe to use and has no side effects. Both adults and children can use it safely without feeling drowsy or sleepy.
- Green-lipped mussel powder consists of dried and ground mussels, making it mainly rich in proteins. Moreover, much mussel powder is “defatted,” with the valuable oil largely removed beforehand. “Defatted” mussel powder is typically used in (supplementary) animal feeds and is much less suitable for human use.
- In powdered form, furan fatty acids and omega-3 fatty acids cannot be effectively stabilized with an antioxidant. This causes these fatty acids to oxidize rapidly, causing green-lipped mussel powder to lose its biological activity quickly.
- Green-lipped mussel powder primarily contains mussel proteins, which can trigger allergic reactions in some people.
- It is often claimed that green-lipped mussel powder is a rich source of Glycosaminoglycans (GAGs), such as glucosamine and chondroitin. Scientific research contradicts this claim. Analysis has shown that green-lipped mussel powder contains no more than 2% of GAGs, of which probably less than 0.2% is biologically active.
Only stabilized green-lipped mussel OIL (GLMO) contains the powerful oil fractions, the biologically active component of green-lipped mussels. Since the oil fraction does not contain protein, it can also be safely used by people who are sensitive to shellfish. Therefore, always use green-lipped mussel OIL and never green-lipped mussel POWDER.