Same day shipping
Easy online payment
Free shipping available
Vitamin C Supplements
Kala Health offers vitamin C supplements in the form of Vitamin C Powder (L-Ascorbic Acid) and Vitamin C Ester-C®. Vitamin C, as the most important water-soluble antioxidant, plays a significant role in scavenging free radicals in our bodies, which our vitamin C supplements help combat oxidative damage. Kala Health’s vitamin C supplements contribute to the maintenance of our cells and tissues.
How Kala Health’s Vitamin C Supplements Work
Once vitamin C is absorbed into the body, it is converted into metabolites. The most important metabolite is threonozic acid. Metabolites enhance the absorption and utilization of vitamin C in the body. Moreover, threonozic acid has the ability to mobilize and make the already stored vitamin C in the body available. Ester-C® is a patented form of pH-neutral Vitamin C with natural metabolites.
The Benefits of Ester-C®
Kala Health uses Ester-C® in our vitamin C supplements because vitamin C initiates numerous health-promoting effects.
- Vitamin C supplements support the immune system.
- Vitamin C supplements contribute to normal energy metabolism and help reduce fatigue.
- Vitamin C supplements have a positive influence on the functioning of the nervous system and contribute to normal psychological functioning.
- Vitamin C supplements contribute to the formation of collagen, supporting the health of blood vessels, bones, cartilage, skin, gums, and teeth.
- Vitamin C supplements contribute to the protection of cells from oxidative damage.
- Vitamin C supplements assist in the regeneration of the reduced form of vitamin E.
- Vitamin C supplements are essential for the absorption of iron from plant sources.
As humans do not produce vitamin C naturally, it is obtained exclusively through diet or vitamin C supplements. Ester-C® is a patented form of pH-neutral vitamin C (Calcium ascorbate) with natural metabolites. Ester-C® vitamin is also considered the third generation of vitamin C. Approximately ten years ago, calcium ascorbate was introduced. This is a form of vitamin C in which ascorbic acid is bound to calcium. This dietary supplement is pH-neutral (non-acidic) and causes far fewer digestive problems than vitamin C in the form of ascorbic acid. Vitamin C as ascorbic acid has been available for over thirty years but can lead to digestive problems in many people due to its acidic nature. The unique patented formula of Ester-C® vitamin offers numerous advantages over ascorbic acid and calcium ascorbate. Compared to ‘ordinary’ vitamin C, Ester-C® supplements provide:
- Twice as fast absorption into the bloodstream and twice as long presence in the body.
- Higher vitamin C levels in the blood.
- Improved absorption of vitamin C into white blood cells (leukocytes), and longer presence in white blood cells.
- Good tolerance by the stomach and intestines, even at high doses.
- Four times lower oxalate excretion in urine.
- Six times lower loss of ascorbate in urine.
- No damage to tooth enamel.
In the Netherlands, the Recommended Daily Allowance (RDA) for vitamin C for adults is 80 mg. However, there is broad consensus that the maximum safe dose is much higher. The optimal amount of vitamin C needed to fully meet the body’s vitamin C needs is difficult to estimate. Adults can take 1 gram of vitamin C powder twice a day, unless otherwise recommended. For general maintenance, a dosage of 1 to 3 grams is recommended, for therapeutic purposes, 2-3 grams per day, and for flu or cold, 0.5 to 1 gram per hour.
Kala Health emphasizes that our vitamin C supplements are of high quality. We are happy to provide you with further information about the background of our vitamin C supplements over the phone.
The European Commission currently authorizes health claims that we are allowed to publish, namely:
- “Vitamin C contributes to maintaining a good functioning of our immune system, during and after physical exertion.”
- “Vitamin C contributes to collagen formation for healthy blood vessels, bones, cartilage, gums, skin, and teeth.”
- “Vitamin C contributes to a healthy metabolism, a healthy nervous system, a healthy mental state, and a healthy immune system.”
- “Vitamin C contributes to the protection of body cells from oxidative damage.”
- “Vitamin C reduces fatigue.”
- “Vitamin C increases the presence of vitamin E in the body.”
- “Vitamin C increases iron absorption.”
These claims have been approved by the European Commission and can only be used for foods containing sufficient vitamin C to achieve the stated effect.
High doses of vitamin C supplements are not recommended for:
- People undergoing chemotherapy.
- People with iron overload.
- People with significantly impaired kidney function.
- Women during pregnancy or lactation.
Taking vitamin C supplements can also enhance the side effects of acetaminophen, including liver damage. Additionally, vitamin C supplements can increase the blood level (and thus side effects) of aspirin but also protect against mucosal irritation caused by aspirin use; aspirin can lower the blood level of vitamin C.
The use of vitamin C supplements is generally considered safe when the recommended amount of 250 mg is adhered to. This is a conservative and safe margin, as studies have been conducted with up to 2 grams of daily vitamin C intake (1). The European Food Safety Authority states that vitamin C is very safe. Therefore, EFSA does not set an upper limit for vitamin C supplements.
- Vitamins E and C are Safe Across a Broad Range of Intakes. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, April 2005; 81(4):736-745.